Malaysian Applied Law LLM
The LLM (Applied Law) Malaysian Legal Practice
The Master of Laws (Applied Law) Malaysian Legal Practice is designed to meet the needs of the Malaysian legal profession for higher level, practice-based skills acquisition across a range of specialised practice areas.
It has been developed by The College of Law in collaboration with Bar Council Malaysia.
Why a masters of applied law?
Our experience in Australia has shown that employers and students alike are seeking further academic study in the form of real-world legal education, rather than a theoretical focus. Being able to apply what you learned today, tomorrow, means your investment is paying off immediately.
When you undertake our Applied Law LLM programme you will be undertaking practice-based tasks and assessments, not writing essays and doing exams.
You will be able to demonstrate to your current or future employer your commitment to self-development and the desire to progress in your career.
If you are interested in this programme, download the handbook today.
How to receive a master of Laws (Applied Law)
To receive a Master of Laws (Applied Law), majoring in Malaysian Legal Practice, complete at least four of your seven subjects from the Malaysian Legal Practice jurisdictional stream, plus a Capstone or Major Project.
If you obtained your undergraduate legal qualification in a country where English is not the primary spoken language, you will need to supply a certificate that demonstrates your English proficiency in accordance with the IELTS standard at level 8.0 (writing), 7.5 (speaking) and 7.0 (reading).
Malaysian Legal Practice Stream
Intake 1, 2018 (February)
- MLP1 - Lawyer's Skills (Malaysia)
- MLP2 - Civil Litigation Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP3 - Commercial Contracts Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP4 - Criminal Law Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP5 - Personal Injury and Torts Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP6 - Property Law Practice (Malaysia)
Intake 2, 2018 (May)
- MLP7 - Mergers and Acquisitions Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP11 - Banking and Finance Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP13 - Wills, Estates and Trusts Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP_DRP1 - Advocacy (Malaysia)
- MLP_DRP4 - Arbitration (Malaysia)
Intake 3, 2018 (August)
- MLP10 - Intellectual Property Practice (Malaysia)
- All subjects offered in Intakes 1 and 2
Intake 4, 2018 (November)
- MLP12 - Islamic Banking and Finance Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP15 - Major Project (Malaysia)
- All subjects offered in prior intakes
Further subjects in development
- MLP8 - Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP9 - Family Law Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP14 - Administrative Law Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP16 - Employment Law Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP17 - Media and Information Technology Practice (Malaysia)
- MLP_DRP2 - Negotiation (Malaysia)
- MLP_DRP3 - Mediation (Malaysia)
The College of Law will also further be developing a choice of majors for this LLM to allow students to gain additional depth in their chosen area of specialisation. We will update this page when these majors are confirmed.
Programme Director: James Jung
Further faculty to be appointed
All our subjects are offered online via our online learning portal. Online study allows you to complete your studies when and where you choose. The program is accessible via your mobile device, allowing you to study while travelling, working – or wherever you have online access.
Intake 1 2018
Commences: 19 February 2018
Intake 2 2018
Commences: 21 May 2018
Intake 3 2018
Commences: 20 August 2018
Intake 4 2018
Commences: 19 November 2018
Murad Ali Principal, K’Mura & Co
Balakumar Balasandramn Partner, Azim, Tunku Farik & Wong
Dhinesh Bhaskaran Partner, Shearn Delamore & Co
Wei Lung Chong Partner, Cheang & Ariff
Wong Tat Chung Partner, Wong Beh & Toh
Darryl Goon Partner, Raja, Darryl & Loh
Jeremiah Gurusamy Partner, Arianti Dipendra Jeremiah
James Jung Programme Director, The College of Law Asia
Lambert Rasa-Ratnam Partner, Lee Hishammudin Allen & Gledhill
Shaikh Saleem Partner, Shaikh David Raj
Brendan Siva Managing Partner, Brendan Siva Law
Datuk N. Sivananthan Partner, Sivanathan Advocates & Solicitors
Peter Tritt Director, The College of Law Asia
How To Enrol
To enrol online make sure you have a certified copy of one of the following:
- Transcript or graduation certificate of an academic qualification in law from any university, or
- Admission to practice in any jurisdiction, or
- Current practising certificate from any jurisdiction.
If you have any questions about this programme, please email our student services team for more information.
THE COLLEGE OF LAW / BAR COUNCIL MALAYSIA CPD COLLABORATION
As part of our collaboration with Bar Council Malaysia, The College of Law is providing a complimentary CPD programme to assist Members of the Malaysian Bar meet their new CPD requirements. Register for this complimentary programme to have a sample of our course offerings and the online delivery format. For more information and to register, click here.